Saturday, January 26, 2008

New Bling

Okay, I confess. I mainly do races because of the medals. What can I say - I like the idea of getting a reward for my efforts. Many 5Ks don't give medals, and those that do usually have plastic medals (albeit cute, Disney!). Maribeth, Marilyn, and I even did a 10K for no medal (what were we thinking?)!

Last year was the first year I did the Tropical 5K, and after seeing the medal, I knew I would do it again. Why? Because not only do you get a medal, it is a metal medal, and it is a spinner. And if you know anything about woggers and racing, you know that a spinner medal is something special.

Sam talks a lot in his blog about being remarkable and going beyond the minimum. The Tropical 5K is a perfect example of that concept. The Tropical 5K raises money to benefit the Community Partnership for Homeless - a plus for the community. It is a chip-timed race - a plus for people wanting a personal best time. It provides a cool t-shirt with the race date on it - a plus for participants who like their race shirts. It provides the usual post-race food and drink but at a cool party place on the beach - a plus for runners and their families. And then, to top it off, it awards every finisher a great spinning medal, comparable to the one the marathoners and half-marathoners will receive on Sunday.

I don't know if the medal is the reason every body repeats the Tropical 5K. It is the reason I do. But it is proof of what doing a little extra can mean.

No comments: