Friday, January 25, 2008

The Lesson of the Tugs

Today I watched from my window as a tug boat was pulling a barge. As it progressed, I noticed the second tug securing the back of the barge. I never thought about two tugs being needed to get a barge to where it needed to be.

I will think about those tugs when I am the tug in the back. I will remember that my part is just as important as the one in the front. I will remember that if there's a person in front and one in back and we're both working for the same purpose, then that makes us a team. In a team, it's not your position that matters most, it's how you use your position to help your team accomplish its goal.

It takes the race winners and the last runners crossing the finish line to make a complete race. It takes the speakers and the audience to make a conference. It takes a CEO and employees to make a corporation. It takes teachers and students to make a school. We all need each other to make a complete action.

In every situation of my life, there will probably always be someone ahead of me or behind me. Maybe sometimes I will be in the lead, and sometimes I will be last. But no matter where I am, I will be there for a reason. My job will to be to make sure I do the best I possibly can, because that situation won't be complete without me.

No comments: