Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Voted

I really hadn't intended to vote today, but as I was backing out of the library parking lot, I noticed the signs indicating the library as an early voting spot. I made a mental note to come back sometime later in the week. Later ended up being in just a few hours, after I had visited the recycling bins nearby.

It was a painless, even enjoyable process. The election dude was friendly and cutesy (for a retired old guy) and quickly checked me in. Another friendly lady processed my form and readied my voting machine. I chose a candidate and voted, and two minutes later I was out the door.

What's the point of this story? I'm not really political. I watched the recent debates as long as I could - about two minutes. I don't even have a candidate that I'm strongly supporting. But I am an American and I have the right to vote, so I did. Will the candidate I chose win the primary? I don't know, and for me, it's not vitally important. The important thing is that I have the right to choose my political leaders, and today I exercised that right.

No comments: