Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Waiter With No Name

Actually, he has a name, I just didn't bother learning it or remembering it. He was our waiter at lunch today, and he was great. He was very friendly, courteous, and efficient. He was everything I could want in a waiter. I thought I was doing a good deed by giving him a generous tip. But I didn't respect him enough to remember his name, or even tell him what a great job he did.

Sometimes I think I'm doing a good thing with simply external rewards, when they should accompany internal ones. I'm sure my waiter was pleased with what I left him. But I also believe he would have felt even better, had I told him what a good job he did. Better yet, had I also told his manager.

I hope to remember that the next time someone does an outstanding job. While rewarding a job well done is important, praising that person directly makes it even sweeter.

1 comment:

molly said...

I'm almost positive his name was Terry.