Monday, December 10, 2007

'Tis the Season to be Tipping

Today my monthly pest-control guy came by to spray the house. After signing the invoice, he sort of stood around chatting awkwardly. I think he was waiting for his Christmas bonus. I didn't have one for him. Am I a Grinch?

I get confused as to who is supposed to be "gifted" this time of year. I usually end up gifting nobody, although I do wonder about the following people:

*The newspaper delivery guy. I don't know his name and couldn't pick him out of a lineup. However, last week we got a paper greeting with his name and address on it stuffed in with our newspaper. What does he deserve for tossing my newspaper out of his car window?

*The mailman. He sometimes mis-delivers our mail, but I just re-deliver as needed. I think there's some statute or rule about gifting mailmen. I don't think they can accept money, but they can accept gifts. What should my regular mailman receive - my home baked cookies? Not if I want my future mail delivered.

*The trash collection guys. Our garbage gets collected in the back of our house. The Mexican men drive to the back and dump our trash cans in their truck and zoom off. They are usually in and out in a flash. One year I wrapped some gloves and put them on the trash can. I always wonder which trash guys should get something - are there ones specifically assigned to me? What if I leave something and there is a substitute trash man that day - is it his lucky day?

*The above mentioned pest control guy. I see him once a month for about five minutes. What does he deserve - a personalized gas mask?

I will probably end up doing nothing because the only reason I would tip them is because I feel obligated, and I hate to give anything just for that reason. I realize that all these people could be considered in the "service" industry, but aren't they just doing their jobs? When I give a gift, I want it to really mean something, not just "It's Christmas - here."

So I will continue to think about this, hoping for an answer. Meanwhile, if you're reading this, you know my address - it's that time of year and I'll be expecting my tip!

1 comment: