Sunday, December 30, 2007

Samuel Steven Davidson

What can you say about the day your life changed completely? About the day that everything you thought you knew about life was tossed out, and all new information flooded in? About the day that you knew everything and nothing at all? About the day your life stopped, then started anew? For me, it’s the day I gave birth to my first child. His name is Sam, and this is our story.

It all started early in 1980. Steve and I had moved to Florida for his first job after college. I felt God saying it was time to start our family, and it didn’t take long until our objective was achieved. I was pregnant! A few months later, we bought our first house in Orlando.

One day as I was out for a walk, I heard God speaking. He told me that I would have a son, and his name would be Samuel. As if I needed confirmation, the very next Sunday, our study was about Hannah.

Our baby was due on December 23. On Christmas Day, we still had no baby. Finally, on the night of December 29, my water broke and we were on our way - or so we thought. Sam eventually made his debut after lunch on December 30 - thanks to two tankers full of pitocin and two nurses who literally lay across my abdomen and pushed him out.

It was at that moment when the life I thought I knew became the life I was created to have. The moment I first saw that 9 pound, 4 ounce baby, I knew there was someone in this world for whom I would give my life. There was someone in this world I would kill to protect. There was someone in this world who was the most precious thing in my life. There was someone in this world who both that thrilled me and terrified me, someone I wanted to do everything for and yet had no clue as to what to do, and someone that I wanted to love and protect forever but knew I would have to let go one day.

But there was more. For just one moment, God said, “As much as you love this child, remember how much I love you to give you such a precious gift. This is your first son - I also have a first son that I love. Never forget how much I love you to let my own first son die just so you can live - could you do the same for this baby boy? As much as you love Sam, try to imagine my all-encompassing and eternal love for you all.” It was a precious moment to experience, a precious gift to receive, a precious lesson to learn, and my life has never been the same.

That moment was 27 years ago. Somehow, through my best (and worst) efforts, Sam has grown into the man he is today. He follows his own voice, as God continues to direct him. He contemplates profound and meaningful ideas and records them for many to read. He loves with no parameters or rules. He constantly seeks for ways to improve this world without judgment of those who created a mess. He laughs loudly, thinks openly, loves globally, works intently, dreams extraordinarily, and lives remarkably. I am truly blessed to be a part of his incredible life experience.

Twenty-seven years ago, God changed my life because He knew the joy this change would bring. For this, I will be eternally grateful.

Happy Birthday Sam - I love you!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Happy Birthday, Sam!

Marilyn said...

What a great day to celebrate, Sam's birth! We love you!