Wednesday, December 19, 2007

No Goodwill Towards (or Between) Men

Today I was the second car in the left turn lane. I heard yelling. I looked to my right and noticed a young man (18 or 19) yelling out the window of his car. He then got out of his car and walked up to the car in front of him, yelling all the way. The man in the front car was probably 60, and at first turned around innocently. Then the older man starts yelling back. The young man goes back to his car. The older man gets out of his car, points to me and the car in front of me, asking if we saw what happened. He gets a notepad and writes down our license plate numbers, yelling back and forth the whole time with the younger man. Finally, the older man gets in his car, the younger man pulls in behind me, and we all go our separate ways.

This is probably the first time I've been this close to this kind of behavior. At first, due to my age, I decided this was just some punk kid causing a scene. Then the adult (supposedly) got out and acted equally ridiculously. I don't know what prompted this scene. All I know is that there were no winners, just two humans acting like wild animals.

I wonder if the old man could see the young man as a younger version of himself. I don't believe he became such an angry man in his older years - it probably took years of practice. I also wonder if the younger man caught a glimpse of his future self, should he choose to continue his pattern of behavior. I doubt it on both counts.

At this time of the year, people get upset easily due to the stress of the season. It's too bad, since this is a season based solely on God's love, showered on us through the birth of a baby.

I feel sad for both of these men. No matter what transpired before I became a bystander, neither could find a high road to take. I can only hope that for all of us who were there, we take a breath the next time our patience wanes or our feelings are offended. True goodwill has to start somewhere, and it certainly can start with me.

No comments: