Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lucky, the Three-Legged Dog

When Lynnette and I were training for the 3-Day, we had a certain route for our long walks. To make the miles and time go by, we had a variety of tricks. We would aim for landmarks (ugly fence), make predictions (how many male joggers will be topless), play games (look down and count to 50), and look for the regulars (pink-shirt jogging lady).

One of the regulars was a three-legged dog and its owner. We would usually see them across the street, and wonder about their story. I hadn't seen the dog in awhile, until a week ago. During a cold day, I saw them, and in passing, said hello. I decided that the next time I saw them, I would stop for a chat.

When I saw them today, it didn't look like today would be our meeting day. They were on the other side of the street, ahead of me. But God had other ideas. The dog decided to take a rest, and by the time I crossed the street at my turn-around spot, we were destined to meet. When we got close, I started off by asking the dog's name. His name is Lucky and this is his story.

Lucky belongs to an older couple, and usually the woman walks him (no, I didn't get her name - that's my next assignment). When I asked why he is missing a leg, she admitted that they really didn't know. She and her husband had gone to the pound, and when they came to Lucky's pen, he stuck out a paw and the husband was hooked. Lucky had found his home.

Lucky's story is a keeper for me. But it's not because he gets around remarkably well with three legs. It's not because he's probably the sweetest dog I've met. It's not because he was rescued by two loving people who have given him a loving home.

Lucky's story is about believing in yourself. Lucky didn't think about his missing leg when people came looking. He didn't think about whether he was good enough. He simply stuck out his paw looking for a friend, and ended up finding his family. Lucky's story is about knowing your true worth comes from your heart, and that only by giving it away, can we truly receive the desires that reside there.

2 comments:

lynnette said...

love this!!! reminds me of how missy came to our home. out of her other brothers and sisters, all of whom had a full tail might i add, she was the one who came and stood next to me.

Luanne said...

And now she has come full circle - sitting in your lap during study time!