Sunday, November 11, 2007

Yes, I Have Issues

Today it's the hair on my head. The color is growing/fading out (and the number of colors on it rival Joseph's coat), and the mousy color/grey is growing in. I had my hair trimmed a few weeks ago, thinking I could hold out a little longer before I had to decide what to do. Alas, the holdout it over. My appointment is Tuesday.

Let's review. First of all, my hair is naturally curly. Or unnaturally curly. One might say even frizzy. For several years I have straightened it, which made it quite easy to care for, except people seem to think it is better curly.

Second, my hair color is really the color of dirty dishwater - brownish - with grey coming in by the millions (more on that later). I have colored it for many years, changing it as often as I changed hairstylists, each time hoping for a miracle worker. Still looking, apparently.

Third, my hair is thick. Those million grey hairs are joining their million dishwater friends, so there is no spare spot on my noggin.

Fourth, I am getting old. I just put that in to emphasize that I am not as cute as I used to be. Ergo, the number of hairdos that I can get away with are diminishing quite rapidly.

Fifth, I do not "do" hair. Ask my daughter about her lopsided bangs (with school picture proof). I consider brushing my hair about all the styling I am capable of. Even then it is iffy.

So, you can image my dilemma going into Tuesday. Do I cut it all off or just barely trim the edges? Do I straighten it again or just let the curls corkscrew themselves into a frenzy? Do I keep the present various colors or start over?

I will be returning to my current hairstylist, whom I have used twice before. As with all my previous hairstylists, I do not speak her language. Whatever I indicate I want, it always comes out differently. I would take in pictures, but her resulting laughing fit would take up my valuable styling/coloring time.

I shall be pondering and consulting for the next two days. Today when I presented a possible "do" printed from the Internet, the females in the family said no and the males said go for it. This is not going to be easy. Too bad Halloween is over - at least I could have had a valid excuse!

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

OK, I can totally relate to this hair issue- my hair is currently in the process of turning "white" by leting many years of monthly hair color grow out. I am voting for easy care, natural, makes me feel good hair. If that doesn't work, you can always change it the next week (or day).