Monday, November 5, 2007

Safe Places

No matter why or when I call AAA, and no matter to whom I speak, the question is always the same - "Are you in a safe place?" They don't first ask if I left the lights on in the car again or if there gas in the tank. The first thing they want to know is if I am safe. Wouldn't it be great if they would check up on everybody?

My niece is working and living in Bangkok. Recently, she's had a few adventures that I wouldn't call "safe." She's been dealing with crazy cab drivers, unsafe apartments, and unfriendly work environments. She's very brave and smart to be dealing with so much at such a young (22) age. But as her old aunt, I still worry about her. She doesn't have AAA to check on her. So I pray for her and trust God to keep her in safe places.

But maybe there's another story here. Maybe I can be like AAA. Maybe I need to begin to ask those around me if they're in a safe place. Maybe by asking, I can let those people know their safety and their well-being is the most important thing to me. We all need safe places. But maybe that safe place is just knowing that somebody else cares.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

you made me cry, but that's what sisters are for (that and for laughing, acting ridiculous, buying useless stuff at Disney, planning to eat our way through Epcot,.....) love you.