Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Night At The Symphony

I hadn't been to hear the Nashville Symphony in so long, I had forgotten the pleasures of such an evening. Although I had been in the Schermerhorn Symphony Center for a party, I had never been there to hear a concert. Tonight I got both, and a fried green tomato BLT thrown in!

Emily had called and said she had an extra symphony ticket and invited me to go with her. After getting on the shuttle bus, then deciding to get off and walk, we had dinner at Merchant's where I had the aforementioned treat. We proceeded to the Schermerhorn, bumbled around looking for and finding our seats, and delighted in a wonderful evening. The symphony's guests were the Naval Academy Men's Glee Club, and they were magnificent. There were songs in foreign languages, tunes by Irving Berlin and Rogers and Hammerstein, and rousing renditions of "God Bless America" and "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." It was a moving and marvelous evening of entertainment.

Before we found our seats, Emily said, "We don't have great seats." I wasn't sure what to expect. Were they out on the sidewalk? In the custodian's closet? Right in front of the drum section?

As it turned out, I had the best seat in the house, at least for me. We were in one of the balconies, technically behind the orchestra. Hearing was not a problem, as the hall was designed so everyone hears the exact same music. But my seat included an up-close look at the symphony. I could see who was playing, and who was waiting his turn. I could see the dude playing the spoons, and the other dude blowing out his spit valve. I could see the Navy guy who had a folder but no music in it. In short, I could see how the symphony was working, and I loved it.

While sitting there, I imagined that my view was a lot like what God sees. He looks at the world and notices who is doing what. He knows we're all necessary to make the big picture work. He created each person to perform a particular task, none of which is more important than the other. We're all there and ready to be wonderful, if we each do our part and pay attention to our conductor.

Tonight I was privileged to listen to beautiful music. It soothed my soul, and reminded me of the power and beauty of music. As God watches me play my part on this earth, I hope my music is as beautiful to Him.

No comments: