Tuesday, November 6, 2007

John Richard Lewis

What is my favorite little brother story? Was it the time we dressed him up as a ballerina for Halloween? Was it filming our disappearing magic act with the old 8mm movie camera? Was it playing with his Big Bruiser Truck or Big Burger Grill?

Or is it the double date when he took the girl who refused to eat pork because pigs will eat anything? Or his help moving us on our numerous moves from state to state? Or his wedding day when the newspaper headlines were about his company's problems? Or his graduation from law school only days after his son was born?

It is all of these and more, because every memory and every moment binds us together. No matter how old we get, or how far apart we live, we will always be the kids who grew up in the country at Route 3, Box 26.

Today my brother is 48. My sister and I have known him every minute of his life. I cannot imagine my life without him, because he is a part of who I am. Today is his birthday, but it is I who really received the gift, because 48 years ago, God gave me a brother. Now that's a gift that keeps on giving!

No comments: