Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Do What You Need To Do

Yesterday I watched Oprah because Denzel Washington was her guest. He was there to promote The Great Debaters, his new movie coming out Christmas Day. After seeing Denzel, the cast, and clips from the movie, I know where I'll be on December 25.

During the show, Denzel talked about things he brought to the movie, not only as an actor, but as the director. He inserted a quote in the movie that his mother used on him, and he uses on his children. The quote is, "We do what we have to do so we can do what we want to do."

I am using that quote today because I have a lot of things to do around my house. I don't want to do any of them. I would rather do many other things. But I am going to do what I need to do because it will make me feel better about my house and about the things I want to do.

It's a great philosophy that I hope to use often. I have to lose weight so I can enjoy an occasional Mickey Bar. I have to balance my checkbook so I can get those things I desire. I have to clean and organize my house so I can enjoy living in it. I have to put up my Christmas tree so I can enjoy the decorations.

At my age, I would like to think I've developed a fairly sturdy work ethic. But maybe in those times when I am flagging, remembering this phrase will jump-start my efforts.

Denzel's a keeper. Wonder if he knows Caroline Kennedy?

1 comment:

KimPossible said...

YES! I saw that quote and posted it on my page. I LOVE that quote from Denzel. AWESOME!

Also, I totally understand about the Mickey Bar. I am on my way to get my 2 mile run in...I am not sure I remember the last time I saw a Mickey Bar.
Where do you live?

KEEP IN TOUCH and visit my blogspot.

KimPossible